Skip to main content

Summer of Sanity - 2017



I'm back with my Summer of Sanity for the 4th summer. Summermom and Summerwife is back in the house!!!

I'm no where nearly as organized at I was in 2014 (man, did that maternity leave help with planning, or what?) but I am always focused on the main objective of not going insane over the summer break as we pause from our normal school year routine.

This summer schedule is looking less crowded with activities than last year thankfully.  March was the month that was jam packed for me this year, lucky me, not.

Activities lined up just include the middle child (MC) in baseball which is over at the end of June and the oldest child (OC) in tennis on Monday evenings.  TBD is dance class for little missy, the youngest child (YC) if she gets potty trained in the next two weeks.  I'm tackling that head on this Friday.  It is so nice not having too many overlapping activities, but I am not thrilled that nearly all of MC's games are prime time witching hour for YC.

The big kink in the schedule this summer includes myself finishing up a university teaching certification.  I'm almost to the end of what has been a hard working year of trying to juggle role of teacher/mommy/wife/student.  Hence, my loooonnnnggg pause from blogging. My class is set up as an independent study, but I have a bunch of tasks to knock out while trying not neglect recharging my batteries for the upcoming school year.

The boys will be at camp for one week in June too; Boy Scouts and YMCA.  They are going separately due to ages, but I am thinking the break apart will do them good.

We have two trips planned.  One is with my bestie and her family to the dunes in Michigan.  I am sooooo excited for it even if it is just a long weekend.  I'm hoping it is a good balance of BFF time and mixing our families time.  I think her and I are both rightfully selfish about wanting  devoted friend time so we'll see how this works out.  If all else fails, her and I will just have to plan a separate girls only weekend to catch up more!

After that weekend, our party of 5 will be heading to the Dominican Republic to the new Nickelodeon resort.  Stick around to see my review of it.  I am looking forward to taking the kids out of the country very much.  Errr, well I should say everyone but myself is going at this point....come on Passport processing!!

Since the pool was a huge success last year, I have purchased another one this year. (I ripped it last year, oops) Again, $100 for this thing is well spent versus schlepping my children off to local a pool plus admission usually.  This was a great time filler last summer and even big enough to accommodate a few friends.
Intex Pool

I've got the kids their summer enrichment binders ready to go and MC has already been digging into his.  MC and OC will keep up journals too. They have been better with screen time, so I am hoping to keep that at bay still.  I'm a slow riser in the morning so I can't blame myself if I am the one slacking at the start of the day which is when most screen time happens.

My biggest goal for them is to start fostering even more independence and not having them rely on me to be the entertainer all the time.  They are pretty good with this and I might be checking in with some progress on skills I am wanting them to obtain.  After all, at 3, 6, and 9, there is plenty that they can be accomplishing.

I am hoping to get lost in a couple of good books or at least just one for fun.  There are no other real big projects on the list for the house so that is a relief.  

I am going to tackle once again getting myself in better shape this summer.  I feel like after coming so close this winter to my mini-goal for the first time in 2 years this is my summer to get.it.done. I am determined to do so by returning to school.

Stick around and be sure to enjoy the sun yourself!

 photo 1245_zpsiztlyuhs.png

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!