Skip to main content

DIY valence/cornice/pelmet box

Or whatever you call it.

Slowly but surely I'm getting the final things checked off in the kitchen. We have 3 windows in the kitchen and I thankfully by mistake bought too many curtains last fall at Homegoods. I only planned on using curtains on the largest window by the table and since I'm used to curtains being sold as only 1 panel in my rush I grabbed 2 and they turned out to be sets. With that I used curtains on both the side windows. We soon realized with the early morning sun that the window above the kitchen sink needed some shade.  Thankfully I realized that the leftovers rements of hemming my curtains could be used to cover a peplum/cornice box.  You say tomato, I say tomato.

I'd fallen in love with the peplum boxes on pinterest and it looked like an easy DIY. When I started searching them, nearly all of them were made of foam board.  I quickly changed the design from foam to wood to make it more sturdy.  I originally was going to go with plywood, but as I cut through the aisle for shelving I realized that a shelf was exactly the dimensions I needed.  I found the size I needed for about $7 and fetched a very helpful employee who ended up cutting the board to the lengths I needed as well as the two sides.
I made my board about 40 inches long, so that left me 2 inches outside the window frame and the 2 extra pieces were each 4 inches which covered the depth I was looking to achieve.  We are talking that this was just a perfect fit for my window, I am horrendous at math so I am not sure how I got so lucky with it working out.
The only additional hardware needed were corner braces and mounting hangers.  There are lots of options for mounting, but I wanted something secure and flush.  We already owned a drill, electric screwdriver, and the screws that were needed for the drywall.  A staple gun was also a huge help, although a PITA.
Here I made the edge piece flush to the board and marked where my corner braces would be screwed.  Give yourself a tad of leeway here because the braces will shift when you screw them in.


I marked where the brackets would be, about 2 inches from the top, and drilled slowly to get the depth I needed.  **Alert you don't want to split your wood here so be careful!  Take your time!
This blanket was 2 fabrics sewn together.  I separated them and wrapped and stapled what I needed around my board.  It can be messy because the fabric will cover it, but just make sure it is smooth.

After the batting I repeated the process and used an X-acto knife to cut away the fabric to reveal the mounting brackets.


DIY valence/cornice/pelmet box

Tools and materials:

1 shelf  = front face board and 2 side boards
Batting (old blanket)
Fabric
Scissors
Staple gun
4 corner braces
2 hangers
2 dry wall screws
Drill / screwdriver
Tape measure
Level
Curtains (Target had the length I needed)
Tension curtain rod (a heavy duty one since the curtains will be moved daily)

Directions:

  1. I first measured my material again to make sure my math was correct. I then attached the 2 side boards flush with the edges of my front piece and attached them with the corner braces. *I pre-drilled my screw holes so the wood wouldn't split.
  2. I stenciled where I wanted my hanging brackets to go and drilled and notched out enough room for the screw head to fit flush. (Drill slowly to not crack the wood!)
  3. I laid down my batting. For my batting, I have about 200 baby blankets lying around so I took one with my middle son's permission and used. It was just the right size and saved me money and a trip to the craft store. I then just stapled it all around making sure it was smooth.
  4. I then covered the board and sides with my fabric, again making sure all was smooth.
  5. Drilled anchor screws to the wall, making sure they were level,  hang up box.
  6. Attach a tension rod and hang curtains   
  7. Admire your work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!