Or whatever you call it.
Slowly but surely I'm getting the final things checked off in the kitchen. We have 3 windows in the kitchen and I thankfully by mistake bought too many curtains last fall at Homegoods. I only planned on using curtains on the largest window by the table and since I'm used to curtains being sold as only 1 panel in my rush I grabbed 2 and they turned out to be sets. With that I used curtains on both the side windows. We soon realized with the early morning sun that the window above the kitchen sink needed some shade. Thankfully I realized that the leftovers rements of hemming my curtains could be used to cover a peplum/cornice box. You say tomato, I say tomato.
I'd fallen in love with the peplum boxes on pinterest and it looked like an easy DIY. When I started searching them, nearly all of them were made of foam board. I quickly changed the design from foam to wood to make it more sturdy. I originally was going to go with plywood, but as I cut through the aisle for shelving I realized that a shelf was exactly the dimensions I needed. I found the size I needed for about $7 and fetched a very helpful employee who ended up cutting the board to the lengths I needed as well as the two sides.
I made my board about 40 inches long, so that left me 2 inches outside the window frame and the 2 extra pieces were each 4 inches which covered the depth I was looking to achieve. We are talking that this was just a perfect fit for my window, I am horrendous at math so I am not sure how I got so lucky with it working out.
The only additional hardware needed were corner braces and mounting hangers. There are lots of options for mounting, but I wanted something secure and flush. We already owned a drill, electric screwdriver, and the screws that were needed for the drywall. A staple gun was also a huge help, although a PITA.
Here I made the edge piece flush to the board and marked where my corner braces would be screwed. Give yourself a tad of leeway here because the braces will shift when you screw them in.
This blanket was 2 fabrics sewn together. I separated them and wrapped and stapled what I needed around my board. It can be messy because the fabric will cover it, but just make sure it is smooth.
DIY valence/cornice/pelmet box
Tools and materials:
Batting (old blanket)
4 corner braces
2 dry wall screws
Drill / screwdriver
Curtains (Target had the length I needed)
Tension curtain rod (a heavy duty one since the curtains will be moved daily)
- I first measured my material again to make sure my math was correct. I then attached the 2 side boards flush with the edges of my front piece and attached them with the corner braces. *I pre-drilled my screw holes so the wood wouldn't split.
- I stenciled where I wanted my hanging brackets to go and drilled and notched out enough room for the screw head to fit flush. (Drill slowly to not crack the wood!)
- I laid down my batting. For my batting, I have about 200 baby blankets lying around so I took one with my middle son's permission and used. It was just the right size and saved me money and a trip to the craft store. I then just stapled it all around making sure it was smooth.
- I then covered the board and sides with my fabric, again making sure all was smooth.
- Drilled anchor screws to the wall, making sure they were level, hang up box.
- Attach a tension rod and hang curtains
- Admire your work!