Skip to main content

Lego Party

There is no rest for the weary when Thanksgiving is late in the month of November.  I had just gotten done hosting that holiday when I had to gear up to get my oldest's party planned out and then plan for Christmas the following week. He finally committed to a Lego themed party and I happily obliged. This was his first "school" friends party where the adults left their kids and not just our family friends and it was a lot smoother than I thought it would be.

Pinterest again gave me tons of ideas, so head there after here if you're planning a Lego party yourself.

You'll have to excuse my amateur photography below, but that job was assigned to my husband that day and he did the best he could.

Decor: 
Super simple and cheap!  I cut up vinyl table cloths in rectangle shapes and taped on coordinating colored paper plates for my backdrop wall.  They ended up looking like giant Legos and took barely any time.  Other than that, I stuck with primary colors.  I found that I'm able to reuse lots of items over and over again for parties that are primary colors which is great when I have extras of things left over.

 

Food:
I just had chips, veggies, and pizza for the boys along with cake and marshmallow pops.  I can't do a successful crumb coating to save my life, probably because I'm not patient enough to let it set, but the cake turned out pretty cute I think.  I used THIS video as a tutorial and guide.

The marshmallow pops were another easy task.  I just used candy melts and m&m's as the top knob of their heads.  I had edible markers to draw the faces on.  They didn't work that great, but they'd been in the cupboard awhile so that might be a reason.  No worries though because the boys loved the expressions on them and gobbled them up.

I specifically bought yellow cups and allowed the boys to draw their own Lego faces on them.  They loved this idea too.The punch was just frozen limeade and cranberry Sierra Mist with some sherbert added.  It did the job of wiring up the kids perfectly. 

*Disclaimer - You can see the details here, but I implore you to make the host of the party aware if your child has a food allergy.

Activities:
Besides the faces on cups, I had 3 other games.  Yes, 3, however they were super simple and not time consuming at all.

1) Guess how many Legos- Alex loved prepping for this by counting out 176 Legos by himself to put into a vase.  As guests came arrived they just wrote their guess on a slip of paper.  The prize was a small Lego set.

2) Lego Memory Board- Alex also helped prepare this by gathering some distinct Lego items and putting them on a large green Lego plate.  I let the kids look at the board for about 30 sec.-1 min. before covering it back up and they then had to recall what the objects were.  The adults helped them write, but the game seemed perfectly aligned with 1st grade skills.  I was surprised at how clever the winner of this game was, he actually drew a small picture of each object versus writing down the word and he got them all!  Again the prize was a small Lego set.

3) Lego Punch Box- The punch box seems to be a popular party pin idea and I used it to fit my theme to make it look like a Lego.  I had 8 holes, 1 for each guest.  I used an old diaper box, cut 8 holes, and wrapped it up with a vinyl table cloth that matched tissue paper I had.  Then I configured the inside with shelves made of more reused cardboard lying around in my recycling bin.  I then applied tissue paper over each hole.  Behind each hole was a small Lego set they got as their favor.  They punched out a hole and claimed their prize as they left the party.  As you can imagine this was a huge hit with the kids.  And as a bonus, we kept the box as a Nerf target for the boys.

I know Alex really enjoyed himself and it was so cute how he kept showing off all the stuff that we had planned out.  I could tell he was really proud and pleased, which of course makes all the chaos worth it for me.

The only tip I'll leave you all with is that if you know in advance you're doing a Lego Party, scope out deals on Lego party favors.  I got some that were on clearance and on sale and made it worth the investment to get every guest a small set vs. junk in a goodie bag.


 photo signature_zpsd392e499.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!