Skip to main content

2015 Goals - Where's My Head At?


Well 2015 is now a full week upon us and so far, so good.  Like many of you out there I like to try and give myself a list of resolutions and accomplishments I hope to achieve the next 365 days, give or take a few.

I welcome 2015 with open arms.  2014 was awesome with the birth of Cora and everything with family coming up roses.  Hell, even work was pretty darn good for 2014 which was a drastically needed change from 2013. Yet, as the months ticked on after March, I could feel myself slipping away. By the time September hit, I was finding myself having to admit some hard truths to myself and I eventually did by the time the year ended.  I didn't like the conversations I was having with myself and that is what needed to change.  Perhaps it has something to do with postpartum and all the mixed up hormones running through my body, but I'm taking my body and my mind back.

So, taking a cue from my bestie, I have decided that only there is one thing I need to work on this year.  (Ok, she has 3, you can read about them here).


Mindful of what my negative mind is saying.

            You’re not OK

Yes, I actually am OK.  None of the petty things that I bother my mind with are making me a bad person. I’ve got all the BIG things I need in this world. I am mindful of the big picture and the whole perspective of what could be happening in my life that isn’t and I’m grateful for that.  I am enjoying the person I am and am growing to be every day.  I don’t need validation from anyone for my thoughts and beliefs.

You should be doing ________ instead

I am living in the present moment instead of beating myself up constantly thinking I should be doing more or something else.  If I am playing with my kids I am not going to think about how mess the house is.  If I skip the gym, I am still a good person.  If I take forever finishing a project, it’s OK because it gave me peace while I was doing it and I’ll get back to it eventually. The self-inflicted guilt trip I have with myself is exhausting.  I know I am doing the best I can.  I am making my own choices and I am responsible for them. I have no regrets on choices I have made, so why do I beat myself up about things.  I am not doing that anymore.  

I’m worried about them

Why? They are adults and can handle themselves. They are responsible for their own decisions and choices just as you are.  I don’t need to absorb their drama as my own.  I can still be good and loyal to them. I can still care for someone without judging them or their decisions. I need to set up boundaries from the situation and the person.  Their actions are nothing personal to do with me. I can voice my opinion and it is OK and healthy for our relationship if we disagree.  It is not my job to fix someone else.

Mindful of what my body is saying.

am I hungry or is it just boredom or stress? 

Most likely it is stress. So I'll address that vs. consuming calories.

am I thirsty for water or a Coke? 

Most likely it is really water I need, but I don't have a daily habit of Coke so I am not going to beat up myself when I have one.

I am stiff and sore

I need to move more, hit the gym or stretch, get that blood moving

I am exhausted

Stop cheating myself out of sleep.  Not rest, but actual sleep that my body is begging for. 

Taking care of myself and my body is an ongoing process.  I know that I could physically be in better shape and health, however until I stop the evil conversations I have towards myself, no amount of working out or cutting calories will help.  I am starting with working on my mind first and I have a feeling the other things physically will fall in line after that.

Mindful of when my heart is full

            I feel great!

There are lots of times that I feel great and I need to not let them be outweighed by the negative times or thoughts.  My heart is full and I am blessed beyond belief.  That is my reality and I need to enjoy it as it happens. I am happy for others and that fills me up.  When my heart speaks to me in this way all is right in my world and I can go forth projecting that towards others.  I really enjoy so much in my life so eat it up!

So that’s it.  I am going to be more mindful this year. I know that by making this my focus, that I will gain a better relationship with myself and that I just might even be comfortable in my own skin someday. 

This post might have read a little quirky, but it makes sense to me and well, that's all that matters.  Good luck with your 2015!




 photo signature_zpsd392e499.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!


Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".