Skip to main content

Summer of Sanity - Week 2 - Oceans


Week's Theme: OCeans
I'm kinda digging this whole theme thing. The #1 thing it does is prevent boredom.  The minute the boys whine about being bored, we bring up the topic for the week and start discussing or doing something involving it. Even just having a simple conversation about the topic is great and gets us interacting. 

I'm sticking with minimal effort for my planning since after all, it is my break too, but so far it is really working out. This week's topic was sorta lame because we don't live near an ocean and are not visiting one this summer.  Plus we don't live near an aquarium so we couldn't even see any oceanic creature that got plucked from the Deep Blue and now takes up residence in the Midwest. Does looking at the lobster tank at the grocery store count as a field trip?? I still think the little things we did kept the boys attention and some things were learned.

While at the library last week we found Disney's Oceans documentary and we viewed it.  I'm much more a fan of the Planet Earth series, but this was a nice one.  Beware...you're little ones might ask 1,304 questions while watching it.  It is always amazing to see incredible footage captured including the most adorable footage of a walrus momma and her baby.  Netflix is always an option for items to view too.  Perhaps you can all view Finding Nemo for the millionth time.




My "Who's Awesome? I'm Awesome!" moment of the week was when I picked up a box of these Ocean themed Little Debbie snacks at the store and Viola! an Ocean-themed snack with zero effort.  I also did the hot dog octopus for lunch one day too.

We got out our shells from past beach vacations and looked at them again and recalled what we did on those vacations. Other than that we did some worksheets I found online.  We looked on a map and named the oceans too, and still have no clue if the Southern Ocean even really exists or not-- my bad.  I tell ya, first they got rid of Pluto and now this. No wonder my kids think I'm dumb. I was hoping to get to a craft, but we didn't again there's a gazillion on Pinterest.

Books we read were:
The sticker charts are going well.  Cameron is responding better to them and all it takes is a reminder (ot three) about losing a sticker or screen time to get them focused again. Other than that the week consisted of normal summer activities, errands, and play dates.

Next week is all about Geography so stay tuned!


 photo signature_zpsd392e499.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!


Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".