Skip to main content

How to stop spoiling my kids

Warning--First World Problems Post (FWPP)

With Christmas just now over, I look at all the damage I've done gifts I've given, and think I've done too much.

How do I stop myself? Is it really too much? I have a hard time answering these questions.

Split families also don't help this scenario either.  I mean does anyone give just 1 gift anymore?

I mean, how did I even get here?  I have 2 boys, both born around the same time of year so what could they possibly need, especially my youngest?  Yet I manage to get sucked into Target Consumerism and shop shop shop.  Perhaps that is part of the problem too, all of the celebrations are in the same part of the year.

I partially blame the blogosphere and all it's deals being thrown at my face.  I mean sure, I suppose I could ignore my reader and the deals that pop up.

Anyways, like other areas of my life I need to simplify and be disciplined here, especially if #3 is on the way.  I think the hardest challenge is me passing up learning gifts like puzzles, books, games.  I can pass up actual toys relatively easily.  I don't think the solution is to just keep running to Ikea to get new storage options, but rather to make less purchases.

Is this an issue you face?  Do you have any suggestions?  I'd love to hear your thoughts and advice.

Some of the spoils from the holidays and birthdays.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!


Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".