Skip to main content

Vacation Recap -- Part I

So our nice relaxing vacation last month that was to be a splendid 9 days of R&R for us as a family didn't quiet turn out that way.

Days 1-2: Were uneventful and casually spent at my brother-in-law's house.  I spent most of my time chasing the kids and trying to keep them from destroying his house as well as trying to find ear plugs for the TV that was kept at full volume for some reason.  I did get a little time in their pool and eyed their keg-orator in their outdoor kitchen, but we didn't put it to use.

Day 3: I get a call from my brother that "if I want to see my mom alive, come home now".  I immediately lose it and freak out.  I start looking for flights, trying to figure out how to cancel our place at the beach and then fighting with myself if I should just fly home myself and let Scooter and the boys have fun at the beach without me.  By that evening I get a phone call that it is a false alarm and she is really not that bad off, just a bad UTI.  WTH?  Thanks for the emotional roller coaster.  I still play the rest of the vacation by ear checking on her and ready to leave a moments notice.

Day 4-5: We make the trip down to N. Myrtle Beach and check into our condo at Seaside Resorts.  It is a pretty decent condo with spectacular views.  We get professional pictures taken on the beach and I actually was pleased with them.  Things get a little frazzled with the kids and brother in law's family (they have a 3 month old) but so far we are enjoying the beach and enjoyed a night out.  Then all hell breaks loose.

Recognize that ^ ?  If so, you are familiar with bed bugs.  This is what I was greeted with as I went to tuck my oldest in bed.  It was also midnight.  The other two babies were asleep in different rooms.  I had checked the beds the first night, but apparently not good enough.  So we call the front desk and they move us to another room---a much smaller room for the 7 of us---but it is just for 1 night b/c they are sold out the rest of our stay. They book us another room at their sister resort. We had to pack up everything into plastic bags and I wasn't taking any chances.  Thankfully our condo had a washer and dryer too b/c I started washing everything on hot immediately.

Day 6: I go to speak with the manager trying to figure out where we are supposed to go b/c we have to be out of our room by 11am.  She is apologetic and agrees to refund our entire stay including that night which is our last night.  I'm more than pleasant and pleased that we have come to this resolution, even if our new room is 20 minutes away and is only 2 bedrooms instead of the 3 we originally booked.  Game on with our vacation...or so I think.  Brother-in-law says "Peace Out" at this point and his family heads back home having enough drama and too little space.

Day 7-8: We stay at our last night with the resort and then decided to get another night some place else b/c that hotel was sold out too and we lost a day at the that makes 3 hotels in 3 days within a 20 min. radius, but dammit, I wanted the boys to play on the beach.

Day 9-10: Was visiting my Happy Place (aka, my old college town) and getting to see my bestie and her newborn baby girl and toddler girl.  Happy at last, but sad too b/c we had to cut our visit short.  It all ends with a cookout at my uncle's with my mom who was doing better at this point than earlier in the week.

So not much R&R, but things could've been way worse.  However, upon my return, I find out that the hotel completely tried to bamboozle us and charge us for our last night with them.  This leads to some high blood pressure from me and a social media blitzkrieg on them to counter their lies.  Stay tuned to hear more about this little gem of a story in Part II.


Popular posts from this blog


I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.

My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.

I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source:

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".