Skip to main content

Designer Challenged - Living Room

I was excited to see that Kelly's Korner was doing a home tour of living rooms this week.  Mine is a design disaster and I'm hoping to get some ideas and input from readers. 

Where do I begin?  We moved in 3 years ago and I've done zilch with this space.  It is large and white.  The general space is probably 25x14 feet with a large picture window that lets in lots of light which is nice because there is no lighting in the ceiling.

I recently bought the couch (sleeper sofa) for our basement, but about 6 months later I moved it upstairs because a friend sold me her sectional for a steal and I didn't mind the boys ruining it versus this couch.  So, the couch stays.  The orange/rust leather chair is also a great piece from Lay-z-boy that my sister-in-law gave to us.  The rest of the furniture in the space can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.  My husband made the one table, but I'll just move that to a different room.

So what ideas do you have for me?  Lighting-Paint-Color Schemes-Tables?  I'm looking for the works!  It is so much easier to design a house on The Sims :)

Excuse the ladders and mess, I was having our air ducts cleaned. 


Looking towards Front Door / Foyer

 Picture window view from Dining Room
 View from the dining room
 View head on
towards the Dining Room

Comments

  1. I did my new living room in a nice Celadon Green that I think would work with furniture. It's so peaceful and calming - we love it! Love that turquoise door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That window is great! I would start by choosing 5 of your favorite colors, depending on how you want your room to feel when you are in it everyday. Then paint a pallet of them all to see what works best! Good luck, and I agree with Brandie, I love the door!

    http://hopefullittleone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great space!! I would if at all possible, take down the vertical blinds on the big picture window. I think a light blue (not too bright), more muted, would look great with that beautiful couch. As far as the two round tables on either side of the couch...I like burlap, and it is super hot right now. I would think about using that on both and make them a little more matchy. But since your couch is very close color to burlap, I might have two layers on the tables...the bottom layer (that touches the floor) and them a different color as the top layer. I think you can do an awful lot with that space! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!


Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".