Skip to main content

A Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday

This theme came to me about a year ago thanks to the ever popularly shopped Target.  I was in there last February and they had all of the Very Hungry Catapillar party items on clearance so I cleaned up since the book is one of my favorites to read with the boys and the colors are great.  I think I got plates, napkins, stickers, cups, invitations, and the table cloth all for about $7!  Score! With help from Pinterest, this party quickly took shape.

Invitations: I ended up creating the invitations and thank you notes from another blogging mom.  Here is how the thank you card turned out.
















Decorations:
Here is my high chair ribbon banner.  I simply cut the ribbon to length to go around the tray then cut different ribbon strips about 1 ft. long.  I used about 7 different ribbon pattern.  I don't sew, but I love steam-a-stich so I just used that on my backing layer, applied the cut ribbons on top, ironed on a backing piece of ribbon and that was it.  This project should easily cost you no more than $10 and could be cheaper if you use coupons combined with a sale at the craft store and/or other supplies on hand.  I'm pretty sure we've all got some ribbon lying around. I just used tape to adhere it to the tray for the party.



















The Finished Banner














This next project came to me while in Bed Bath and Beyond rummaging through the clearance bin.  I saw these place mats for $1.99 and thought, hey that looks like a caterpillar.  A little hot glue and about 10 minutes later I had a great big caterpillar to hang on my wall behind the buffet.


The ever popular month-by-month banner.  I just printed off pictures of the dot images from the book and cut them out to make the pennants.
The cakes  I got the idea for this off Pinterest from this website.  Here is my rendition.  It is just a simple bundt pan cake cut in half, then the other half cut again to form the head and back end.  My 4 yr. old suggested the sprinkles on top which happen to match the "hairs" on the caterpillar perfectly.  The antenna are some straws we had.  The eyes and nose I made from rice krispy treats I had in the pantry that I just iced.  This was my first time also using Wilton icing color gel versus food coloring and it turned out so much better that way.
The Smash Cake that didn't get smashed, lol.

Food:
I tried to make the food follow the theme of the story as close as a could with the fruit, meats, and cheeses.
I also made signs for the items and embellished them with stickers that I had picked up from Target.


This was the favor for the party, little bags of "caterpillar food" aka M&Ms















The complete table setup including some of the tissue pom poms I made. Those were also great favors to give away to some of the guests.
I thought the party was a great success and so colorful. I can't believe my little guy is one!





















You might also like ideas from these other Very Hungry Caterpillar birthdays:
Moments that Take My Breath Away
Polkadots and Puppies

Comments

  1. This is ADORABLE! I love the Very Hungry Caterpillar story! What an awesome birthday party theme! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog from the link up and had to say that this is a precious theme - it really came together well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween!

I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!


Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 tbsp. butter

Preparation
Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

**I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".