Skip to main content

A Pirate's Life 4 Me -- Birthday Party

While planning my little boy's 4th birthday party I scoured the interwebs in search of ideas.  Now I am going to share what I came up with in hopes that it will help another party planning momma out there.

Invitations
I was on a scrapbook retreat with friends when I saw the "Life's A Party" Cricut Cartridge and everything fell into place.  I substituted their saying "A Pirate's Life for Me" with the number 4 since that was how old my little guy was going to be.  It was perfect.  The only thing I had to do on this invitation was the writing.  The cartridge had the card pattern, the fonts, and all the little pirate extras.  I was so excited to send these out.


Games
It is great that he is at an age where him and his friends can really appreciate games at parties now.  I decided to go with two of them.  I love these games too b/c they are indoor games.  Many of the suggestions I saw were for outdoor parties which are sort of impossible during December in the Midwest, or they were parties held in larger spaces such as a church basement.
     







    Pin the Hook on Captain Hook -- This one just kind of came to me.  It is a twist on the classic version of the "pin the tail".  I am a teacher, so after work one day on my projector I pulled up a picture of captain hook.  I zoomed it to the size I wanted, traced it and colored it.  Viola, finished.  I then took half of an index card and made 6 "hooks".  I made the bases of them different colors too so the kids could pick out their own.  Each child was then blindfolded and taped their hook onto the poster.  This was quick game and a lot of fun, plus my son now has a poster of Captain Hook for his room.  -- The prize was a foam ship from Michaels that could be put together 











    Treasure Hunt--
    I searched around and found these amazing "starter" clues.  I did a little tweaking to fit my house and printed them out.  Our "treasure chest" was just a large cooler we had and the prize was the favor bags I had made up earlier.  This was a great success a lot of fun that wasn't too hard to organize.  The favor bags included a Jake and the Neverland Pirates coloring page, an eye patch (from Target), some Hershey nuggets, a gold bead necklace, and a wooden pirate theme trinket to color with markers.This is an obvious choice for this party theme.



    Supplies

    This was actually a pretty inexpensive shin-dig to throw.  Thanks in part to my brother having his annual summer party be pirate themed, so I just looted all of their goodies, lol.  Also, I was in the dollar store and stumbled upon all sorts of pirate things.  I was able to pick up quiet a few goodies there like the banner, prizes for the games, plates, and favor bags. Other supplies (bandanas, ship wheel, and gold coins) cam from Orientaltrading.com

    Food

    I was stressing about food trying to make it fit the theme, but I had specifically planned the party for a time that I wouldn't be needing to feed guests a meal, just some finger foods.  Between wrapping up Thanksgiving, and having a big week at work, I just decided to keep it low key.  I stocked up on yummy treats from the frozen appetizer section at my local grocery store.  I also baked some chicken nuggets to follow the "gold" theme.  I made some punch and that was about the extent of the menu.

    Cake

    The cake was my favorite part.  I found a similar one on Pinterest from Family Fun magazine and recreated it as best as I could.  I added a Reese Cup as the ship's wheel, pretzels and Twizzlers along the deck, and smarties for portholes.  This was an incredibly easy cake to make.  I'd say out of my last 3 homemade attempts, this one was the best.  I created the masts with black paper, wooden dowels and help from the "Life's a Party" Cricut Cartridge.



    Thanks for reading about my son's birthday party.  The only other recommendation I have is I scheduled the party from 2-4 and should have tried for 3-5 or 4-6....I think it interrupted too many of the kid's nap times including the birthday boy.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

    I love spicy Buffalo Chicken and this tasty recipe was a snap to make.














    I found this on Pinterest originating from here but below is my own variation and recommendations.

    Ingredients:
    3-4 Chicken Breasts (I used fresh)
    Franks Red Hot Sauce (regular or buffalo)
    Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
    2-3 tbsp. butter

    Preparation
    Place Chicken in Slow Cooker
    Pour approx. 1/2 bottle of sauce on top
    1/4 to 1/2 of the dressing mix.  (I used 1/2 and found it to be too salty)

    Cook on low for 6-8 hours

    Shred up the chicken, add more sauce or a little water if necessary, but the chicken will shred up perfectly.
    Put butter on top for about 15 more minutes, stir and then serve

    **I think adding a little cream cheese to this recipe also might be a nice addition, but I'd melt that in the slow cooker prior to adding the chicken**

    This is so yummy and very versatile to serve with anything.  I especially love it mixed in a cool salad with a little ranch dressing.  With the Super Bowl coming up too this would be a…

    Pirate Party Game - Ring Toss

    Why didn't I think of this?!  I came across this from Hostess with the Mostess site, my go-to party planning inspiration blog.  What an awesome game and pretty inexpensive if you were a savvy shopper and picked up the pirate hooks for $1 at Target along with some swim diving rings also in the $1 spot.

    original source: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/08/preppy-modern-neverland-pirates-party/

    This would've been perfect for Alex's 4th Birthday Pirate Party where we played "Pin the Hook on Captain Hook".

    Halloween!

    I realized I never updated my Halloween Pictures.


    My little guys were just adorable this Halloween and boy did they haul in the treats.

    Alex dressed up as Spider Man for trick-or-treating at preschool and had a great time going around the classrooms getting goodies.

    For actual trick-or-treating, Alex went as a fireman and Cameron went as his faithful companion, a dalmatian.  I have to pat myself on the back for decorating the wagon up as a fire truck. 

    I liked getting into the spirit of the season.  It is such a let down when the trick-or-treaters that do come around have no costumes or manners :(

    Good thing I got this up before the next holiday!